Nest boxes

dacjohns - never apologize for the way you made something for your chickens. I think using good ole fashioned ingenuity and 'finding' things laying around to use is always a great idea! That not only makes you smart but frugal at the same time.

You did a great job with your nest boxes and it's obvious that your hens love them... so ... you win!

Thank you Chirpy. I guess I was feeling a little apologetic when mentioning the lodgings for my birds. We have a varied and sometimes very opinionated membership in BYC. Some folks are (rightfully so) proud of how nice their chicken coops are. I got the feeling from another thread that there might some people that look down a little on those who don't have fancy playhouses for their birds. That's why I made that apologetic comment.

I agree that 14 X 14 would be better. The birds do seem a little squeezed in the 12 X 12 which is really only 11 X 11 when you take into account actual lumber dimensions and putting boards on center. Do they even make a 14 in board or are your boxes pieced together?

My boxes are up high because somewhere a long time ago I read that is what they should be. When I had hens go broody and decided to let them hatch I had to move them. 18 inches is awfully high for the chicks so I put them down to ground level in another part of the coop.

I have a roost at about 4 feet for my standards. They have enough wing power to get up and down. Had birds before that would roost in the rafters, about 7 feet up. Banties especially will roost high.

I have two sets of 3 three boxes. When I took the picture the other box was with the broody hen. A waste of nesting space. The banties hogged the boxes.

My nest boxes are around 15 x12 and 15 high. I have them mounted 24 inches from the floor. I decided to go with the 15" width because i have orpingtons and everyone said they got big. I was going to mount them closer to the wall but i have a vent in the wall near them and i wanted them to be higher then the vent.

my roost is not quite 4' from the floor so it is about a foot higher then the nest box perches. i will have to wait and see where they decide to perch.

100_0768.jpg

Well if you consider a brahma rooster can reach 2 ft tall standing and hens are slightly smaller...I would say 12" bare minimum on height 14" better and 16" gotta be a go.

I have been looking at this measurement issue for awhile because I have heavy breeds and some big girls...Aussies, Brahma, BOs and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom