Nest boxs debate More is better

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I constantly read they all use the same nest box's Hog wash!!! I finally had my camera & got a picture to prove that more boxes equals more huevos. My rooster is waiting in line to lay. LOL I have 10 hens & everyday theirs always one waiting in line. I have 6 boxes & one they don't use because my feeder is blocking it. My other hen house has 16 pullets not laying yet & has 7 boxes guess I better add on to it probably another 5 to be safe.[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 5 nesting boxes for 10 laying hens in one coop - 1 box never gets used. They do wait in line or cram in with another girl. In my other coop, I have 4 nesting boxes for 6 hens. 2 never get used.

It's always nice to have more though, room for expansion! [​IMG]

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Our has 4 nest boxes (5 hens) but we haven't put them in yet since they wont be laying for a few months. Also we are still on the fence about 2 of our girls, we have gotten mixed thoughts on wether or not they are hens or roos [​IMG] I plan to post more pics again and see what everyone thinks, my vote is for all hens because I love them all and just dont want to part with any of them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by