Nest but no eggs!

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
My ducks are almost 21 weeks old. I check for eggs every morning but so far there haven't been any. This afternoon when I went in the pen to feed them again I peeked inside the house and noticed a nest in one of the nest boxes! I have one decoy egg in each box and there weren't any real eggs. I'm excited because I think they might be getting ready to lay but I'm worried that maybe one of them tried to lay an egg but it wouldn't come out. Would they make a nest even without laying an egg? I'm probably overreacting but I want to double check with the people here.

My ducks are almost 21 weeks old. I check for eggs every morning but so far there haven't been any. This afternoon when I went in the pen to feed them again I peeked inside the house and noticed a nest in one of the nest boxes! I have one decoy egg in each box and there weren't any real eggs. I'm excited because I think they might be getting ready to lay but I'm worried that maybe one of them tried to lay an egg but it wouldn't come out. Would they make a nest even without laying an egg? I'm probably overreacting but I want to double check with the people here.
Most likely beginning to feel the urge, do you have oyster shell out and what feed are you giving, make sure they are getting an adequate diet and hopefully there won't be any problems.

They don't have oyster shell but they've been getting layer feed for a few weeks now. They get worms, bugs, and dandelions just about everyday and I give them peas as treats.

Quacker layed an egg!

Back
Top Bottom