Nest Height?

kwebb

Chirping
Mar 18, 2018
Texas
I did not factor into the height entry very well and the entry will be about 10" when it is raised to allow a roll away next box. Is that too small of a box if the rest of the box is 12-14'? It is just the first entry? I can cut some of it off to allow 12" but it would really be a pain! If 10" is ok, I might leave it, but would like advice.

Should be ok, but you should have a landing perch in front of it. I built my perch as a platform with slats that could be folded up to block off the nest boxes to keep the juveniles from sleeping and pooping in the nest boxes.

When your hens go in they will let you know. I did the same thing and did not pay attention to how big the opening was. my hens decided it was ok. I left it alone.

What is a landing perch? It is just basically a 2X4 they will need to step over to enter. Nest box is on on the ground floor. Enter the coop and go straight back to the nesting boxs.

*Not sure where to put the roost, do I put it above the nesting boxes, above the entry door, on perpendicular to the nesting boxes?

Is the nest box ON the floor? If it's not, they need to have a perch to stand on so they can safely enter the nest box. Their sleeping perch should not be near the nest boxes unless you use a poop tray. Can you post pics of your set up? @aart has great space/problem solving skills.

Do not make it higher that the nesting boxes or close to them. I have mine across from my nesting boxes and I made it out of 2x2's with 2x4 side rails to hold my 2x2's up. I also my it with hinges at the top so I could raise it up and sweep under it.

When you put the landing rail up for your hens to land on before going into the nesting boxes be sure to look at the size of your birds, and make sure the landing rail is far enough away from the front of the nesting box so if you have a hen that will not use the roosting set up and decides to roost on the landing rail you put in front of the nesting boxes that she dosent have her butt in the nesting box, or you will be cleaning chicken poop out of that box ever day. "I got this from the school of hard knocks".

Do not make it higher that the nesting boxes or close to them
You want roost higher than nests,
or they may sleep in nests and poop in them,
but not right above nests unless you have poop board between roosts and nests.

*Not sure where to put the roost, do I put it above the nesting boxes, above the entry door, on perpendicular to the nesting boxes?
A pic of your setup would really help......even if your still building.
Pics and dimensions.

ill get a picture if my wife can get me one. So the roost needs to be out in front of the nest, but higher than the nest. Will they would be stepping over poop to get into the nest? Would it be better to have it going along a different wall?

Back
Top Bottom