Nest pad wet with gelatinous liquid

These are new layers people....they don't need Tums!
They just need some time to get things smoothed out.

Toss some of the OS on top of feed and/or on the ground,
they often don't 'get' that at first.
Adding the crushed egg shells can be good bait for the OS too.
I did that yesterday. I threw a bunch of OS on the ground for them.

Just be patient and try to check as often as possible for softshell eggs before they get broken....such a mess!
Poor babies. Trying to be patient (not easy ). I just worry when I see something unusual. I read about the soft shell egg, rubber egg, etc....I never read about this one though so I worried. I’m new to chickens so I’m learning and thanks to this community it’s making understanding things easier.

Poor babies. Trying to be patient (not easy ). I just worry when I see something unusual. I read about the soft shell egg, rubber egg, etc....I never read about this one though so I worried. I’m new to chickens so I’m learning and thanks to this community it’s making understanding things easier.
Soft or thin shelled eggs are pretty common with new layers, you often don't find the membrane or shell or even most the egg because they eat it and just leave a 'wet spot'.

with chickens it's like life ya never stop learning, but as you get more experienced it gets better, other than worrying when your hatching in an incubator lol

Soft or thin shelled eggs are pretty common with new layers, you often don't find the membrane or shell or even most the egg because they eat it and just leave a 'wet spot'.
Ohhh I didn’t know that. In that case the culprit did a really good job in not leaving any trace of it. Could this turn into egg eating? Is it possible for a hen to lay a normal egg and for the liquid to come out at the same time? The reason I’m asking is because there were 2 eggs in the box at the time and they were still warm.

The flock is very sneaky and FAST when they see a soft egg. I've seen them drop one, eat it and then fight over it in 20 seconds flat - I barely had time to register what they were going crazy over and then it was finished.

I was worried I had a group of egg eaters, but so far they don't behave this way over regular eggs. They are too lazy to break intact egg shells but they are opportunistic eaters.

with chickens it's like life ya never stop learning, but as you get more experienced it gets better, other than worrying when your hatching in an incubator lol
Haha As much as I would like to learn how to do that and to actually see a chick hatch the cockerel factor is stopping me. It’s a good thing or else I would have a million of them

Back
Top Bottom