Nest pad wet with gelatinous liquid

Once you start getting more eggs, you can actually use their eggshells as their calcium supplement. I put mine on a pan on 250 degrees for about an hour then I let them cool. Once they are cool I crush them up and I put them inside of a mason jar. I give my girls at least a mason jar filled every week (about 2 cups). They really like the eggshells, mine don't like oyster shells so I found this method for them on BYC.
I have a few shells in the refrigerator. Waiting to accumulate more so I could do that. Thank you

I have a few shells in the refrigerator. Waiting to accumulate more so I could do that. Thank you
I don't wash mine or bake them. I set them on the counter and let them dry not cradling so they don't get moldy if I don't take em out right away. I just crush them a little and toss them out or pout them into their OS container. Yes, they always eat the egg shells first... but it may not be enough calcium by itself long term. Having the OS available on the side as you do is great.

As stated, keep your treats below 10% and be aware that many things touted for protein content such as BOSS, meal worms, and scrambled eggs are fairly high in fat. :)

I don't wash mine or bake them. I set them on the counter and let them dry not cradling so they don't get moldy if I don't take em out right away. I just crush them a little and toss them out or pout them into their OS container. Yes, they always eat the egg shells first... but it may not be enough calcium by itself long term. Having the OS available on the side as you do is great.

As stated, keep your treats below 10% and be aware that many things touted for protein content such as BOSS, meal worms, and scrambled eggs are fairly high in fat. :)
Noted. Thank you!

The Tums gives them calcium right away and in a big dose.
Yes, that's true.

It's important to note that the added calcium is to support the muscles pushing stuff out most often and not actually to harden shells... though that can happen as well for future eggs it won't do anything for a current egg that may be stuck. If a shell gland isn't working properly, no amount of added calcium will change that.

The hens absorb calcium into their keel bone where it is then redistributed to the shell gland which then has to put it on the egg. They will sacrifice their own bone needs in order to make hard shells.

The Tums gives them calcium right away and in a big dose.
How m
Yes, that's true.

It's important to note that the added calcium is to support the muscles pushing stuff out most often and not actually to harden shells... though that can happen as well for future eggs it won't do anything for a current egg that may be stuck. If a shell gland isn't working properly, no amount of added calcium will change that.

The hens absorb calcium into their keel bone where it is then redistributed to the shell gland which then has to put it on the egg. They will sacrifice their own bone needs in order to make hard shells.
So can I just give them all a dose of TUms and how much do I give them. There are 8 of them.

The calcium tablet is a good idea in case there is leftover egg material inside the hen. You need to identify which one, though, so you can give her the tablet. I use calcium citrate since it's most readily absorbed. It can help her body flush out the egg.
How much do I give her? If I figure out which one is the culprit? Can it hurt if they all have it just once?

Back
Top Bottom