nest/roost area slightly unlevel...okay?

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
My two month olds (1 Austrolorp, 1 RIR, 1 Alcona) LOVE their limited outside time in what must seem like a luxury two level condo
smile.png
. However, the actual roost/nest area is just slightly sloped towards the back end of the nesting area. Perhaps 10 degrees off? Think this will bug them when they're in there full time and hopefully laying eggs?
Thanks!

I don't think they'll care either way. However, if you see one of them carrying a bubble level in through the pop door, you might want to consider working on it
wink.png

LOL seriously, the lumber I used on my framing came out of the 'discount' bin at home depot. It was put there due to being warped and crooked. I made a comment about one of my 2x4's on the roost being so warped, but was assured by people I trust it wouldn't matter. So far, that's the one I'm having to clean the most, indicating they're using it more than the other one so......

I know that they won't mind! Never thought about it in terms of degrees, but I'm confident that all of my boxes are more than 10 degrees off level... intentionally!
I made all of mine slope to the back, so that the eggs roll away from the hens. I have an egg sized gap under the back wall and the floor extends 4-6 inches beyond the back wall. This accomplishes several things:
It prevents cannablization of eggs, discourages hens from becoming broody, keeps the eggs cleaner, keeps me from disturbing anyone that is laying when i collect, and allows me to collect the eggs without entering the coop or run.
I use the plastic mats that farmtec and OC supply sell, which allow the eggs to roll freely. So I slanted the floors enough to get the eggs to roll, without allowing them to pick up enough speed to crack.

I know that they won't mind! Never thought about it in terms of degrees, but I'm confident that all of my boxes are more than 10 degrees off level... intentionally!
I made all of mine slope to the back, so that the eggs roll away from the hens. I have an egg sized gap under the back wall and the floor extends 4-6 inches beyond the back wall. This accomplishes several things:
It prevents cannablization of eggs, discourages hens from becoming broody, keeps the eggs cleaner, keeps me from disturbing anyone that is laying when i collect, and allows me to collect the eggs without entering the coop or run.
I use the plastic mats that farmtec and OC supply sell, which allow the eggs to roll freely. So I slanted the floors enough to get the eggs to roll, without allowing them to pick up enough speed to crack.
I've read where people will get the foam sticks of pipe insulation and cut it in half and attach to the wall where the eggs roll to, to cushion the impact. Sounds like yours are working pretty well already though!

Saw the same thing papa, as it was an idea that I probably got from BYC. I never got around to buying the pipe insulation (out of sheer laziness and forgetfulness), but luckily my eggs aren't breaking so I've left well enough alone.

I've read where people will get the foam sticks of pipe insulation and cut it in half and attach to the wall where the eggs roll to, to cushion the impact. Sounds like yours are working pretty well already though!

Hooray! I actually was hoping all of this would be the case. Easier and better for all, and they'll roost in a darn tree if left to roam, right? My young ones have only just discovered the area, and they LOVE it. And yet we went from 78 degrees to snow last night (with a wicked wind) so they didn't get to leave their inside home. Ah, welcome to Colorado!

My only concern is you lumped the roost and nest together in your post. Are they separate? You want the roost higher and a different spot than your nest boxes or you'll have nest boxes full of night time poop....yuck.

The uneven is fine though. My main coop is an old greenhouse with a shelf running around the interior. Most of my birds roost on this shelf, as nd I have one spot that started to collapse years ago that I just propped up. It's quite crooked/slanted but the birds use it for sleep I'm Nguyen.

Back
Top Bottom