Nest size. Need some help.

I guess the project is a wash then. One chicken on its own is pointless.
Don't give up! You could always make a "daytime pen" if you want to keep them penned during the day. Just make sure to lock them up tight in their secure coop every night.

You could also convert the entire top half of that into the coop, and build a permanent run.

Premier 1 makes awesome portable electric fence for poultry. You could convert that into a coop and set up a movable run with the fencing. That way if you want to move it around, you still can.

Tons of options and this forum is full of people that can help think of more!

As a visual, I use a ceramic 12x12 square piece of tile and have placed them on the ground.
Now you need the minimum of 4 but 6 tiles(is better) per chicken INSIDE the coop.
Now OUTSIDE in the run area you need the minimum of 10 tiles per chicken.
Now, you can visually imagine one chicken living in that space. Now add the feeding method container plus the waterer.
This is the reason when your starting out your new chicken hobby, build big or go home is the motto. You can also decrease your flock size in order to properly care for your chickens within the recommended guidelines.
With a smaller space, you risk pecking and sometimes those squabbles get brutally ugly. Plus, a tight space will cause them stress that causes a decrease in your egg production. Remember, Everyone, including humans needs their space.

I live in central Argentina beyond the mountains. We hit sub zero about five to ten nights in a year. Coop is just for them to sleep at night undisturbed. I have ten inch wheels and a plan for undercarriage that makes her a cinch to move even daily.

0C, right?

In a climate that mild you don't need an enclosed box, just a predator-proof structure wire with a roof and 1-3 walls to provide shelter from the prevailing wind.

Back
Top Bottom