Nestbox-hopeless?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by desertgirl, Jan 3, 2010.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    None of the girls will use them. They go in and move the straw around, but no eggs. We've tried altering them (bigger,smaller,light,darker). We have a perch for easy access. We've put decoy eggs in there-all to no avail (they lay on the floor right in front of the darned things![​IMG]).

Can you teach a chicken to use them once they have decided not to? Any suggestions?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I trained two by locking them in the nest when I saw them on the floor starting to lay. I left them in about 1/2 hour and let them out after they laid. One (Buff Orp) only took one time, the second (Austaralorp) took two times. A third (Buff Orp) never did learn.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The only suggestion I have is the one Ridge already gave you.

P.S. Are you SURE they're not rare egglaying roosters? I wouldn't expect a rooster to know how to use a nestbox. [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Remove all the straw and or bedding from the floor, leaving it only in the boxes. they will seek out the best spot to lay and then it will be the boxes. try that first it's easy for a week or so.

AL

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Quote:You just can't help yourself, can you?[​IMG]

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    tough one! if possible, make the areas outside the nest less attractive for laying. I have 1" hardware cloth on the floor of the coop and sand in the run, so the nesting boxes are the coziest places. sounds like you have a solid floor so maybe it's harder to do this, but perhaps putting temporary obstructions around the nest could help. whatever you put there will get pooped on but you could discard it after a week. maybe use cardboard or something that you can use as compost in the garden later on. good luck!!

7. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I'll try these things. Thanks!

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    have you tried a fake egg (golf ball works), my girls always look for an egg in the box, then thy all use the same one

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You just can't help yourself, can you?[​IMG]

ummmmmmmmm..........no [​IMG]

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I'd rather pick up an egg than scrape up poop.[​IMG] Not to mention removing all of the litter and then putting more back in? [​IMG] Lock 'em in the nest and save yourself the extra work. If that does not work, don't email me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by