nesting and brooding question

How sad to lose a turkey to a coyote, but oh, that's horrible - losing your turkey to a mower
sad.png
. Sorry to hear it.

The turkey has settled in and I can leave her dog crate open in the pen. There's also a chicken on a nest in that pen, but they don't seem to mind each other. However, I'll move them before hatching, the chicks are due next weekend.

Yesterday I found another turkey nesting in the woods, I moved her to a small enclosed area, and she settled on her eggs immediately. She has 29 eggs! LOL! I will start candling this weekend. How many eggs does a turkey usually hatch? Can two turkey moms raise their babies in the same coop with no harm to each other's babies?

I had turkey with 30 baby turkeys before and I had a turkey one time with 70 baby guineas and raised them all. So as many eggs as she can cover is as many babies she will have. I would just leave them penned till babies are totally feathered so they don't get lost or ate. It is hard to know if the 2 turkeys would get along together. I have had them get along and then I have had them fight. I think it is up to their personality and how close they are to the other turkey and how much room is in the pen. So just put them together and watch them to see what happens is all I know. You never know if they get to fighting who will get hurt but most likely momma turkeys will be after each other not babies.

Back
Top Bottom