Nesting box access question...

Tigertrea

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2012
LaSalle Ontario Canada
Is there a reason to not have indoor boxes with no outside access for collecting eggs?

We are building our first coop and were considering, for now, not having a collecting door. It is a 4X8 coop with a people access door.

I do not have a collecting door. I do in my coop to collect eggs. I figure that way I can look at everyone and make sure everyone is ok. I love visiting my girls. Also- right now, I have a mama hen and 5 babies in the coop, so its a good "excuse" for me to check on them. I collect eggs 2-3 times/day and don't let my chickens out (they free range) until mid-late morning. Haven't had any issues collect eggs yet! :)

I go into my coop to get the eggs, too. I use that time to check the food level, make sure the water nipple isn't blocked, etc. You need to wear shoes - or, better, tall boots - that can get dirty. You don't want to go into the coop with your nice clothes, so consider how collecting eggs is going to fit into your day.

I go into the coop to collect mine, I don't see the need for a outside door just for the boxes. I go in the coop to check on them and feed them and just collect the eggs while I am there.

I purposely went without an egg collection door because it is too hard to insulate. I didn't want the girls to have cold drafts on them when in their box. It's also another spot that needs to be predator-proof. My coop is similar in size to yours (mine is 6x8) and I only have a few hens -- I simply go in and close the door behind me to do food/water/eggs. The girls are never stressed by my visits; they get rather excited since I always bring treats. And I do all my chicken chores in the morning before work/taking kids to school so it's often done in nice cloths/high heels (not boots). No big deal.

most important: have fun

One of my reasons for putting in an egg access door was that when we go out of town, I want it to be easy for someone to collect the eggs for us even if they aren't chicken people.

We cut a hole in the side of the coop that was large enough to access the boxes easily and then installed trim boards around the edges of the cutout piece. That covers the tiny gap completely so it's weather and draft proof. Then, we installed a trim board block on the coop wall so the hinge lays flat. We used one sliding latch that goes into the trim board. It's a nice, predator-resistant style and has the feature to add a lock if needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom