Nesting Box Bedding

Quote:
You've got plenty of nests available for 13 hens, that's not a problem. We use hay in our nest boxes and pine shavings on the coop floor. The girlz love to rearrange the hay and make it into a cozy, soft nest for their eggs. It's easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. I have never had a problem with an egg cracking or with the hens eating it.

The hens that are laying on the floor will figure it out. A few of mine did that in the beginning but I think it's more accidental than intentional. They like to lay their eggs in a dark, private spot. In fact, if you don't have "curtains" on your nest boxes, you might find that they enjoy the privacy it provides them. I stapled up some leftover cotton material that I had and sliced it lengthwise to make it easier to get into the nest box. I think they appreciate the privacy it provides (but can't be sure, nobody's talking!).
43104_4-23-10_dec_the_coop_5.jpg

Great replies! Thanks! I'll have to see about getting a bale of hay home in my car.

Has anyone tried putting any kind of a carpet or mat on the bottom of the nest box so there's still something soft after they scratch away all of the bedding? I was thinking I might go to the hardware store and see if I can get some free carpet samples or something like that.

Quote:
I haven't done that. When I collect the eggs, if there's a bare spot in the middle of the nest I just cover it back over with some more hay. I've never had a broken egg. I think I would worry that the carpet would harbor creepy crawlies (mites, etc.) and you could never really get them clean.

I would stay away from carpet squares. Ewww. Just another place to harbor mites and other nasties. Fill the boxes with a nice thick layer of straw or hay if you're using that. I use pine shavings in all of mine except the rear roll-away boxes, which have a plastic "astroturf" type of material in it to facilitate rolling the eggs away from the nest.

I used pine shaving once when I rain short of straw and it was a mess--never again. I keep a bale of straw around and use that--the chicken eat some of it or at least it disappears and I readd it. Pile it in deep, they mash it into a nice nest and never a broken egg. The pine shaving are for the floor. BTW, if you can get it, use "clean" straw it has less seeds and dust, although the chickens love the oats.

Last edited:
I use plain hay for standard layer's and my bantam's a thin layer of hay on bottom covered with soft pine shaving's.I don't use straw I find it way to stiff for the girl's.I keep a slight bit of cedar on a couple of my concrete floor coops for odor with larger bird's and the duck's and No problem's.Hay bale is about the cheapest and easiest clean up way to go.

I have 8 nest boxes and am new to the chicken business. I put pine shavings in 4 of them and straw in the other 4. The chickens only lay eggs in 2 next boxes(the ones with straw). I am sure the pine shavings work well too, but I prefer staw and so do my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom