Nesting box entrance demensions

lacquerandlace

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Hello to all, first time poster - but long time lurker :) We are currently designing/building our chicken coop. I wonder if one of you experts would be kind enough to advise me… Our nest boxes are 14x14x14; I’m pondering whether a standard chicken will “mind” entering through an opening measuring 9” x 12”? The photo shows what I am envisioning – we still have to cut the plywood backing with an oval to match the shown frames. Thank you in advance, Brandy

Hello to all, first time poster - but long time lurker :) We are currently designing/building our chicken coop. I wonder if one of you experts would be kind enough to advise me… Our nest boxes are 14x14x14; I’m pondering whether a standard chicken will “mind” entering through an opening measuring 9” x 12”? The photo shows what I am envisioning – we still have to cut the plywood backing with an oval to match the shown frames. Thank you in advance, Brandy

9x12 should be plenty big enough for standard size chickens. I believe my nest box openings are even smaller than that. It may be easier for them to enter them if they are vertical rather than horizontal however. Cool idea btw :).

Our original idea was for them to be vertical. The "ornate" scrolls on the frame don't allow for that if we don't cut an inch off the width of the lower 2x8's. Thank you for your input, I just don't want to set it up this way and have chickens that won't enter
smile.png

Last edited:
9x12 should be plenty big enough for standard size chickens. I believe my nest box openings are even smaller than that. It may be easier for them to enter them if they are vertical rather than horizontal however. Cool idea btw :).
Thank you - Our original idea was for them to be vertical. The "ornate" scrolls on the frame don't allow for that if we don't cut an inch off the width of the lower 2x8's. Thank you for your input, I just don't want to set it up this way and have chickens that won't enter :)

pretty! I like that idea!

My girls can squeeze through something a lot smaller than that.

Our nest boxes are 14x14x14; I’m pondering whether a standard chicken will “mind” entering through an opening measuring 9” x 12”? Brandy

Those openings will work great Brandy. I think your idea is unique and lovely. It makes me smile to see someone who takes the time to decorate a nest box with ornate things. Then I invision how those nest boxes will look in my set up after 12 months with my attention to cleaning..

Last edited:
I have Brahma hens, and even though they're hatchery birds, I think they might not try to squeeze through. They might, though, and was wondering where you found these beautiful pieces. I'm new to chickens, and I love your idea! I had heard to hang strips of fabric to make it more snug and private, but I like your idea even better. Good job, and thanks for the inspiration. Maybe I could find a bigger one.

I do have a good understanding of what a chicken coop turns into after the birds move in... and yet I cant help myself :) Thank you

Back
Top Bottom