Nesting box filler: what do you use?

Yes! I will get pictures tomorrow thank-you! Have you ever heard of chickens not roosting! Will it hurt them not to?

Oh yes! Mine initially roosted in their coop but gave it up in favor of roosting ON or near the coop. I came here, showed them pictures and learned my coop was too small and too poorly ventilated for daytime laying.

Fortunately we'd already begun construction on a newer, larger coop for my three big girls! Then I went and bought four chicks at the feed store. They're currently in the smaller prefab coop (which is really only good for smaller birds not yet laying) and are now building a big walk in coop that all 7 can eventually live in and enjoy!

So that'll be THREE coops so far for SEVEN chickens! I've learned how space, ventilation and even height all play a roll in their willingness to roost. Might even be that your roost is too sharp sided or not enough landing space to jump down from!

And this is where pictures are necessary! :gig:highfive:

Oh yes! Mine initially roosted in their coop but gave it up in favor of roosting ON or near the coop. I came here, showed them pictures and learned my coop was too small and too poorly ventilated for daytime laying.

Fortunately we'd already begun construction on a newer, larger coop for my three big girls! Then I went and bought four chicks at the feed store. They're currently in the smaller prefab coop (which is really only good for smaller birds not yet laying) and are now building a big walk in coop that all 7 can eventually live in and enjoy!

So that'll be THREE coops so far for SEVEN chickens! I've learned how space, ventilation and even height all play a roll in their willingness to roost. Might even be that your roost is too sharp sided or not enough landing space to jump down from!

And this is where pictures are necessary! :gig:highfive:

Attachments

• 86FF4E49-B79D-4FD7-AB55-50BA2CEC0BAD.jpeg
    86FF4E49-B79D-4FD7-AB55-50BA2CEC0BAD.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 10
  • C93D49B3-A1A6-4FA2-AF91-1D72CBB0E756.jpeg
    C93D49B3-A1A6-4FA2-AF91-1D72CBB0E756.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 976B9BAD-21F5-4285-B2C3-D5D0D757AB2E.jpeg
    976B9BAD-21F5-4285-B2C3-D5D0D757AB2E.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 10
Here are some pictures of their coop! Right now their roof ( for summer is a heavy duty frame with hardwire stapled to it and secured .. they have plenty of venelation

It will not hurt them whatsoever if they do not roost. I can see that the roosts are not much off the coop floor. To chickens the roosts that are somewhat higher from the floor (2 to 3 feet) offer them psychological security, from predators that may be below. In your case, since your coop is not a walk-in, you are limited to how high you can make yours.
You may want to try as experiment to make the one roost a 2 x 4 with the flat side up. Another thing to consider is distance from wall. Should be at least 12 inches or more, so chickens can feel like they can jump on and turn around easily.
The advantage of a roost,,,,,, when chickens drop their gumdrops, they fall to floor below. and dry up somewhat overnight. They are not located under chicken overnight. Makes cleaner chickens' posteriors.:thumbsup

It will not hurt them whatsoever if they do not roost. I can see that the roosts are not much off the coop floor. To chickens the roosts that are somewhat higher from the floor (2 to 3 feet) offer them psychological security, from predators that may be below. In your case, since your coop is not a walk-in, you are limited to how high you can make yours.
You may want to try as experiment to make the one roost a 2 x 4 with the flat side up. Another thing to consider is distance from wall. Should be at least 12 inches or more, so chickens can feel like they can jump on and turn around easily.
The advantage of a roost,,,,,, when chickens drop their gumdrops, they fall to floor below. and dry up somewhat overnight. They are not located under chicken overnight. Makes cleaner chickens' posteriors.:thumbsup

Thank-you everyone .. we have been putting them on their roosts for the las two nights! so far they are staying on it! I will check to make sure the roosts are at least 12 inches from the wall!

Back
Top Bottom