nesting box height - is ours ok?

Hey Olivia... quit being a worry wart.
gig.gif
hugs.gif
Ur nests are fine. In fact they suggest making larger than the usual 12x12 if u are going to get the bigger bird like jersey giants or orpingtons next go round. And if they are making it to the roosts they'll make it to the nests. The only thing I might would do is put another roost 1/2 way between the one u have and the roof...which u said u aready did.
big_smile.png
So..TA DA! nothing to do. Sit back and wait for eggs. TThe earliest I've heard is 17 wks.

Last edited:
Quote:
yes....that is me... LOL worry wart-o-rama! You got my number
wink.png

Actually I was thinking on raising the one that you can see in the photo about 5 inches maybe, then leaving the lower roost that is there to help them UP to the higher one. The back one is like 20 inches from the back wall.... if I am remembering correctly...... oh old age is a horrible thing isn't it!
old.gif

17 weeks... maybe i should hold off on the opening of the nesting boxes... my other concern with them - Livia mostly - is i am convinced she is a bit older than the others - she seemed like a 3 day old when i got her or maybe even a 4 day old, not a day old
wink.png

not sure if you will get this edit? if i change things do you get notified? hmmmmm But anyway... here is a better photo of the roosts..
63737_roosting_bars.jpg
you can see sort of where they are in relation to the ceiling - there is a bit of wiggle room - there is more floor space and the lower roost really is not under the nesting boxes (closed off right now) as it appears in the pictures.... As my daughter's art prof use to say - photos lie - i only wish they'd lie in MY favor
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you get more chickens, won't your coop then be too small? The usual rule of thumb is to allow a minimum of 4 square feet per chicken for the coop, plus 10 square feet for the run.

Quote:
If you get more chickens, won't your coop then be too small? The usual rule of thumb is to allow a minimum of 4 square feet per chicken for the coop, plus 10 square feet for the run.

I guess that would depend on how many chickens we get........ I'd not crowd them
roll.png

Why don't u just leave ur roosts the way they are and see how they do. Where are they roosting now? they usually tend to crowd on one roost(the highest) If they're not using the lower one ,u could go ahead & move it. Some people are putting all their roosts at the same height so that those on the low end of the pecking order can still be in a favored spot. I have two 4ft long at the same ht and all four of mine crowd on the same roost. Go figure.

Quote:
They use the higher one at night....all on there together with room to spare
smile.png
They seem to use the lower one to get to the higher one, but i think it is "in the way" so to speak? Maybe? not sure?
hu.gif
During the day, Blondie - bottom of the order - sits on the lower on in the window LOL We might leave as is for now, tons to do before the snow flies! still have to finish calking the cabin!!!!!!! about 1/2 done!
th.gif

my ladies roost on tree branches we found and stuck in there too:)

and as for it being too high, if you feel it is, make a hen ladder:) ours has ladders... we took a fench plank, and scrap trim, and cut the plank to the desired lenth, and cut the trim to the width of the board, stapled them on, and our gals trott up and down them all day:D

beautiful coop!

Quote:
They use the higher one at night....all on there together with room to spare
smile.png
They seem to use the lower one to get to the higher one, but i think it is "in the way" so to speak? Maybe? not sure?
hu.gif
During the day, Blondie - bottom of the order - sits on the lower on in the window LOL We might leave as is for now, tons to do before the snow flies! still have to finish calking the cabin!!!!!!! about 1/2 done!
th.gif

Come cold weather they might all be sitting with Blondie in front of the window. LOL

Quote:
No problem with height - I don't think as they have no problem getting on the roosting bard which are up higher... only I was watching them last night... they were all on the roost all settled in early - we went out to check on something and they all stood up, jumped to the lower roost, then to the floor, it was so funny to watch
smile.png

Thanks for the compliments.... we wanted to make it a nice home for them - safe, warm, and hopefully functional... We have learned a lot along the way that is for sure... Thanks also for the ideas on the hen ladder
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom