Nesting Box Height???

Chicklady707

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Northeast Wisconsin
My DH built nesting boxes for me today but I am worried they are too high off the floor of the coop at 3 feet. I don’t know if that will be too high for my pullets to fly up to use. The poop 💩 boards are at 3 feet with roosts above that so that is not an issue (there is a ramp for them to get up there). My 15 pullets will be 17 weeks on Monday. Do you think these will be okay?
7314B3DD-90B1-4DED-9E54-85981F2B441B.jpeg
BF2C8DAE-2E65-43C9-A6EE-25E1A7350844.jpeg
FF557114-07FC-45A8-9294-B7459C304C8D.jpeg
7397ABEF-2D81-40EF-8FCC-773D7EC7A123.jpeg

E9E02840-CE24-492C-8B0B-4AEE95641DFB.jpeg
DD0BB54B-2557-4D00-B805-94415AFF46DD.jpeg

I think that will be just fine because you have a bar. I don't have nesting boxes like this, I use 5 gallon pails, you may need a divider in the shared parts so that the hens don't peck each other while they are laying.
Thank you for replying! Yes, we were trying to decide between individual “boxes” and the community type. It ended up to be a mixture of both. The middle divider works as a support. If there are pecking issues, we’ll have to add 2 more dividers.

Thank you for replying! Yes, we were trying to decide between individual “boxes” and the community type. It ended up to be a mixture of both. The middle divider works as a support. If there are pecking issues, we’ll have to add 2 more dividers.
I would warn that there may be an issue that is not pecking related....a hen sitting right in the middle so that nobody else can use either side of her! The height is probably fine, especially for young pullets. If you have heavier breeds, and you notice it's hard for them, you could add a ramp. Are you putting bedding in the nesting boxes?

I think that will be just fine because you have a bar. I don't have nesting boxes like this, I use 5 gallon pails, you may need a divider in the shared parts so that the hens don't peck each other while they are laying.
Ya know, I thought of using 5 gallon buckets as well, but didn't think they were tall enough when laid on the side. Glad to hear someone else has done it.

I would warn that there may be an issue that is not pecking related....a hen sitting right in the middle so that nobody else can use either side of her! The height is probably fine, especially for young pullets. If you have heavier breeds, and you notice it's hard for them, you could add a ramp. Are you putting bedding in the nesting boxes?
I guess we’ll just see how it works and can add more dividers if needed. I wasn’t going to add bedding. The eggs are supposed to roll back so there is some cardboard on the bottom to “cushion” the egg falling. Hopefully this will be comfy enough for the pullets to want to use the boxes.

I wasn’t going to. The eggs are supposed to roll back so there is some cardboard on the bottom to “cushion” the egg falling. Hopefully this will be comfy enough for the pullets to want to use the boxes.
If they start nesting on the ground you may want to add some shavings, straw, old towels, fake grass....really anything comfy to encourage nesting.

Back
Top Bottom