Nesting Box higher than Roost

gpac

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Maui
I read somewhere that the nesting box should be lower than the roost. I built my nesting box a few inches higher than the roost and my hens seem to have no problem with that. What is the reasoning in that and should I build my future boxes lower? 3 Buff Orpingtons/2 Red Stars/2Black Stars/4Black Sex Links:rolleyes:

I think as a rule chickens like to sleep where they feel the safest and that means as high as possible. So if you don't want them sleeping in the nesting boxes, put them lower than the roost, (as a rule).
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok that makes a lot of sense because they sometimes sleep in the nesting box. I guess other than the occasional poop in there it hasn't been a big problem so far since they are out in the yard all day free ranging. I guess my next boxes will be built lower. Thanks guys I knew you would have the answer. Aloha From Maui!

welcome-byc.gif
by the way! And yes as stated above, the only reason is because of the sleeping thing and since they poop in their sleep it can get messy. The cleaner the nest box the cleaner the egg is all.

Hello-

I had one hen in particular who liked to sleep (and poop) in the nesting boxes. When I got my nice 8x12 coop, my setup was different and I put the nesting boxes on the floor against the back wall, now, no more poop! It's really nice not to have to collect eggs with poop all over them.

Back
Top Bottom