Nesting box, how high from the ground?

Woodlit

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Kunkletown, PA
I'm constructing my first coop now, but ran into a problem. I've searched these forums for nesting box questions, but must have missed this one.
How high can I make the nesting boxes from the ground? I mean, how high can chickens jump, and how high is too high and they will need some sort of ramp.
I'm using an old shed for a coop, and it has your standard 8 foot ceiling height. I wanted to put all the nesting boxes on one wall, so the chickens would still have plenty of room to roam around inside.
Ramps, stairs, or perches wouldn't be a problem, I just don't know how far apart to make them.
This is my first coop, and will be my first backyard flock of chickens, so any thoughts would help tons :) Thank you!
-Woodlit

i have mine about 18 inchs off the floor, and have a box that they like to get on that is three feet to the top of it. but i have RIR's so hope that helps. william

My next boxes are about 2.5 feet off of the floor. It's an easy jump for most hens. No need for ramps. I also like having a door with access to the next boxes from the outside so that I don't have to walk into the coop and get my feet poopy.

I think anywhere between 12" + 24" with 18" being the norm, yes your chickens will be able to get into them, I have a little perch running the length of the boxes on mine. They jump from one to the other looking for the right spot.

here is my set up;
10364_golf_ball_nest_boxes_more_chickens_005.jpg

I hope this helps
AL

I have a small coop and only 3 hens at the present time. Before my hens were laying I stuck a cardboard box in the corner of the coop intending to put it up on a platform later. I never got it put up and two of the mature hens are laying regularly in the box on the floor. I did stick another box with low sides and no top on the top of that box in case it got to crowded but so far no one seems to lay up there.

Peggy

Quote:
RIR's? I'm guessing that stands for rhode island red? I haven't learned much about differents types of chickens, but I was looking at leghorns. Will they be able to jump as high?
The way you said that makes me think that particular chicken is a good jumper.

I made mine high enough so that I did not have to get on my knees to collect eggs.. we had chickens fly to the top of the haymow to lay eggs . (20 30 feet?) depends on how ambitious your hens are.. I would say anywhere up to 4 feet..

Quote:
Just to be sure because I am that new, roosts are just high places for the chickens to hang out right? I'm still undecided on using either large dowells or actual shelves for them to stand on. Either will do?
Thank you everybody :)

Back
Top Bottom