Nesting Box Issue

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi everyone!
So is it horrible if my girls sleep in a nesting box? I have four hens, but two insist on sleeping in a nesting box at night! Before I knew better I bought one of those pre-fab coops and they got used to sleeping in that coops nesting box. Mind you, I have a bigger coop with roosts that two other girls sleep in BUT my original ladies refuse. They actually don’t even lay in that nesting box, they lay in a different one so I’m not worried about dirty eggs. I just didn’t know if it was an absolute horrible thing if my girls co tinier to sleep there and not roost. There is NO room for a roost in that tiny coop! Thoughts? 😊🐔

Hi everyone!
So is it horrible if my girls sleep in a nesting box? I have four hens, but two insist on sleeping in a nesting box at night! Before I knew better I bought one of those pre-fab coops and they got used to sleeping in that coops nesting box. Mind you, I have a bigger coop with roosts that two other girls sleep in BUT my original ladies refuse. They actually don’t even lay in that nesting box, they lay in a different one so I’m not worried about dirty eggs. I just didn’t know if it was an absolute horrible thing if my girls co tinier to sleep there and not roost. There is NO room for a roost in that tiny coop! Thoughts? 😊🐔
The way I'm reading this is you have 2 flocks and 2 coops?
They may not always sleep in the same box and they may start to get dirty vent feathers.

You've already addressed the dirty eggs, which is a common concern.

I'm a bit confused about the coops--is this the only space they could sleep, or do they have the option to sleep in a larger coop on a roost? If you want them to sleep on the roost in the other coop, you can shut them in that other coop, and put them on the roost each night until they get the idea.

Chickens do poop while they sleep. So I would probably take a good look at them-- if they seem clean and healthy, then it's just a matter of where you prefer them to sleep. But if they are poopy, dirty, maybe have irritated skin, then it is a problem, and you should make them change to sleeping on a roost. (Especially look at their bellies and their back ends. Their heads and shoulders and even tails will probably be fine in any case.)

I'm sure there will be others who will tell you to break them of it. But in my opinion, if you are okay with it then that's what matters.

Hi everyone!
The reason I put my birds on a roost is that they wear off their butt feathers wiggling around in the nest box. And I worry about their butts getting cold. I have 2x4's small side up for them to roost on. And every one roosts in the same place every night.

Just go out just before dark and put them up. Might have to do it for several nights or a week or more. Good luck

I'm a bit confused about the coops--is this the only space they could sleep, or do they have the option to sleep in a larger coop on a roost? If you want them to sleep on the roost in the other coop, you can shut them in that other coop, and put them on the roost each night until they get the idea.
My thoughts exactly.

How big is the "larger coop", in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Here is a video of my coop/run area.. you can see I have two small pre-fab coops and a larger one.. let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 5B873159-B9D6-4D51-942B-39BD8AFD03C6.png
    5B873159-B9D6-4D51-942B-39BD8AFD03C6.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 44392554-D43F-4055-9684-651315969772.png
    44392554-D43F-4055-9684-651315969772.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
  • FD301471-F63D-431D-884C-C4BF9A81DB91.png
    FD301471-F63D-431D-884C-C4BF9A81DB91.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • F88E0FB0-2C5B-4BCF-97FB-28BBF486C9A5.png
    F88E0FB0-2C5B-4BCF-97FB-28BBF486C9A5.png
    6 MB · Views: 11
You've already addressed the dirty eggs, which is a common concern.

Chickens do poop while they sleep. So I would probably take a good look at them-- if they seem clean and healthy, then it's just a matter of where you prefer them to sleep. But if they are poopy, dirty, maybe have irritated skin, then it is a problem, and you should make them change to sleeping on a roost. (Especially look at their bellies and their back ends. Their heads and shoulders and even tails will probably be fine in any case.)

They are very healthy and clean... I clean the coop every few days. They could sleep in larger coop which has roosts but they choose the smaller one every night. I did try one time to put them in larger and they were not happy! I was also afraid they would attack smalle girls in the coop during the night... they get along fine but not great 🤣

Back
Top Bottom