Nesting box issues...

GrizzlyAdam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Oklahoma
I have great nesting boxes with hay and ceramic eggs in each but they still won't lay in them. They lay in the corner of the coop or out in the run somewhere. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Thanks!

How high are your boxes off the floor? And are the easy to get in? Sometimes they start out liking to lay on the floor. You could put real eggs in the boxes to lure them in. I know most of use use things like golf balls, but sometimes you need to fool them with the real thing. another possible solution is to make a nest box for them in the corner where they like to lay and then start moving it day by day to the nest boxes.

Hens can be picky about where they lay their eggs. As far as they are concerned, they may be sitting on these eggs for 21 days and hatching a brood, so it had better be comfortable and good for their babies.

Make sure the boxes are easily accessible and private. (out of chicken traffic). Try using shavings instead of hay, in case they are having trouble with the hay. Keep the ceramic eggs in the boxes at all times. You can even try moving a hen that is attempting to lay somewhere else and put her in the box.

Also, make sure there is nothing in the boxes that might be annoying the birds, like bugs, too much light, or anything else that might be scaring them off.

Your description sounds like new layers. If that's the case, it just takes a little time. They are like toddlers in potty training -- they have to recognize how they feel when an egg is ready and early enough to get to the box. Have you seen them checking out the boxes?

I found my hens were laying on the coop floor because I had hay in the boxes and a mixture of hay and paper on the floor. They liked the shredded paper. When I put all shredded paper in the boxes they started laying in them.

Otherwise when I find a secret nest I block it off. Mine like to lay in corners as well but I put fencing/boxes in the way so they can't. They eventually go back to the boxes.

Thanks everyone for the advice and personal experiences, they've all been very helpful. They have finally started laying in the nesting boxes. I have one chicken that won't use the boxes but I think it's because she's too fat so in going to make her a box on the ground. Again, thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom