Nesting box location?

ephiemarie

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2013
My bourbon red pair spend their daytime hours in an enclosed outdoor pen and sleep locked in a 4x8 shed (just large enough for them each to roost on separate boards). If I construct a nesting box for my hen, should I put it outside or in the coop? Any eggs will be eaten, so she won’t be raising poults this year.

They like a dark secluded area to lay eggs. They like their privacy. So I would say indoors

Edited to add: I thought you were talking about chickens not turkeys. I have zero experience with turkeys. Disregard my comment.

Last edited:
My bourbon red pair spend their daytime hours in an enclosed outdoor pen and sleep locked in a 4x8 shed (just large enough for them each to roost on separate boards). If I construct a nesting box for my hen, should I put it outside or in the coop? Any eggs will be eaten, so she won’t be raising poults this year.
The simplest turkey nest box is a pallet or wide board leaned up against a wall. The best nest box will be fashioned in such a way that the hen can easily enter and leave it but with the entrance being made small enough that the tom cannot get to the nest.

full

full

Thank you for the replies! Their shed is set up with 2 roosts (landscape timbers cut to 4’ length) at different heights. The hen is able to walk under the shorter roost, but the tom is not. Currently the shorter roost is nearer the shed door. Could I just swap the roosts so the taller is in front, and then maybe lay about 12-18” of supported plywood to create a little “roof” so that it’s resting atop the shorter roost and on one end of the timber? So it would essentially be a boxed in area with a roof, floor, and the 2 shed corner walls?

It’s hard to explain, but it makes sense in my head lol

Thank you for the replies! Their shed is set up with 2 roosts (landscape timbers cut to 4’ length) at different heights. The hen is able to walk under the shorter roost, but the tom is not. Currently the shorter roost is nearer the shed door. Could I just swap the roosts so the taller is in front, and then maybe lay about 12-18” of supported plywood to create a little “roof” so that it’s resting atop the shorter roost and on one end of the timber? So it would essentially be a boxed in area with a roof, floor, and the 2 shed corner walls?

It’s hard to explain, but it makes sense in my head lol
Whatever works to keep the tom out and appeals to the hen will work. Seed the desired nest area with a fake egg or eggs. Turkey hens do not like their nests being messed with and will abandon a nest that always has her eggs removed.

Would golf balls work as fake eggs? Or plastic Easter eggs? Or is that something I should order online?

I think golf balls are a little small for a turkey but @duluthralphie has a turkey hen sitting on a light bulb. I have used fake chicken eggs in the past. I currently use fake goose eggs.

She is trying to hatch a light bulb and a golf ball. She refuses to allow a real egg to be slipped under her.

But she is a Royal Palm and they are known to be quite stooooopid..

They like a dark secluded area to lay eggs. They like their privacy. So I would say indoors.

Mine prefer to drop them wherever they happen to be...

This is one on my workbench.. not exactly dark or secluded.

Btw the other hens lay eggs all around her... but she won’t take their eggs, she prefers her light bulb and golf ball..

in conclusion, turkeys be dumb. DA60E1DB-ED41-466A-A244-04EA752DBEC0.jpeg

Mine prefer to drop them wherever they happen to be...

This is one on my workbench.. not exactly dark or secluded.

Btw the other hens lay eggs all around her... but she won’t take their eggs, she prefers her light bulb and golf ball..

in conclusion, turkeys be dumb.View attachment 2062677

I just reread OP’s question. Didn’t realize they were talking about turkeys! Thought that was a chicken:thguess I have a lot of learning to do.

Back
Top Bottom