Nesting Box Material

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kgudie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Kgudie

Kgudie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    My girls are only about 10 weeks old, but I am trying to plan ahead. What is the best material to use for nesting box material? I did not have any straw, and though I would want a different material than the pine shaving bedding I use on the floor. I put some long dried grass and a few small green twigs in the nesting boxes, and about two days later, the material was thrown on the floor.

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    I use pine shavings. many eggs have been laid there, and I have a hen who just hatched 7 eggs on pine shavings. And everyone is doing fine.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I, too, use the pine shavings.

4. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Pine shavings here, too! They smell nice without bothering my allergies and they're easy to clean out and replace when yucky. My girls really seem to like their fluffiness!

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I used to use the pine shavings and then I was running low one week and grabbed some straw from the cows and used that. The hens actually seem to really like it. They can actually make a little nest out of it and it doesn't get as messy as the pine shavings. I think that there is really no right or wrong answer. Just what works best for you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by