Nesting Box Material

Kgudie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
My girls are only about 10 weeks old, but I am trying to plan ahead. What is the best material to use for nesting box material? I did not have any straw, and though I would want a different material than the pine shaving bedding I use on the floor. I put some long dried grass and a few small green twigs in the nesting boxes, and about two days later, the material was thrown on the floor.

I use pine shavings. many eggs have been laid there, and I have a hen who just hatched 7 eggs on pine shavings. And everyone is doing fine.

Pine shavings here, too! They smell nice without bothering my allergies and they're easy to clean out and replace when yucky. My girls really seem to like their fluffiness!

I used to use the pine shavings and then I was running low one week and grabbed some straw from the cows and used that. The hens actually seem to really like it. They can actually make a little nest out of it and it doesn't get as messy as the pine shavings. I think that there is really no right or wrong answer. Just what works best for you!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom