7 week olds not roosting

EddieSalita

Songster
Mar 10, 2023
Qld, Australia
A quick question..... I have integrated 5 x 7week old pullets into my flock of 7 month old laying hens. We got them at day old. We started integration at 4 weeks or so. All went incredibly easily and well. They have been living together full time for almost 2 weeks.
The chicks aren't roosting with the big girls though. They go into the coop with the assistance of the queen no problem. There is space up there but they choose to sleep on the floor of the coop in the bedding. Now they've taken to sleeping in the nesting boxes. The whole coop is off the ground. So it's not the ground as such. Just the floor of the coop.
Just wondering if this is unusual. I figure they would probably still be sleeping with mum at this stage if they had one. But they never have. So I don't really know. So thought I would ask.

Thanks for reading.

When integrating a flock of younger pullets to a group of older laying pullets, there tends to be a small divide between the two, but they should merge together better once the young pullets start laying. Your older birds are still pullets by the way, they're not 12 months old yet

When integrating a flock of younger pullets to a group of older laying pullets, there tends to be a small divide between the two, but they should merge together better once the young pullets start laying. Your older birds are still pullets by the way, they're not 12 months old yet

Ah.... I didn't realise there was an age cut off. I thought it was just when they had pretty much reached their full size 👍

There is a low perch, and two high perches where all the older pullets sleep. They are indeed a sub flock though. They try to not get too close to the big girls. Especially when there is food. The exception being the boss bird. She actually drops food for them, calls them and waits for then to go into the coop in the evening. If they don't move quickly enough they get in trouble. 😛

Any photos of your roost set up? You mentioned having 2 high and 1 low - do all the adults roost high? Is the low roost too close to the high ones? My little ones have always followed the adults up to roost, but I think a big part of it is because they can roost while keeping distance from the adults too.

early10.jpg

I wouldn't be too concerned. They're still very young and that they're co-sleeping is a win. Unless you're concerned their getting pooped on I wouldn't worry about it or over think it much. I bet by 10-12 weeks, once they hit their little growth spurt they'll feel more comfortable jostling for their space and by then the older pullets will hopefully not mind at all.

Some might recommend going in at night and placing them on the roost bar. I think if they were sleeping outside the coop, that's one thing, but if they're in there, I think you're just altering what nature will work out

Mine have a billion different roosts. Actually, the adults prefer the lower roosts, and so the best roosts are left vacant. Still, the juveniles sleep in the corner of the run, on a log 5cm off the ground. They're weird little things

Mine at that age continued to sleep on the floor, next to their pop door. A suggestion I found on here was try a night light for them inside the coop. They started going up around 9 weeks, but only after they could see. I'd go outside to close up the coop and turn off the light. After 2 nights of light they didn't need it anymore.

They leave going in at night until the last minute. Much to the chagrin of the boss hen. Light fades fast in here in the subtropics.
I don't have a pic right now. But yes all the older hens roost high, always.

Glad to know it's normal. I had to check. While my hens are not aggressive.... it's always a bit rowdy at roosting time. Much like treat time, I guess the little ones don't want to get caught in the line of scrimmage. Smart.

Thanks to everyone for letting me know I am fairly normal 😂

Back
Top Bottom