Nesting box question...

Quote:
The sloped top sounds like a good idea! Thanks for that!!
big_smile.png

I agree!!!
jumpy.gif

At 18 months old, a molt can be expected.
That will significantly lower egg production.
If they haven't molted yet, the stress of moving may start it.

spot

anyone use small/medium wooden crates for nesting boxes? I'm more partial to wood than plastic, but am not a whiz at building things.

I was thinking I'd see if I could get some from our local apple orchards.

Medium /large would be better than small ... Once they stay going broody and setting on eggs , they will be in nest ALMOST constantly and you DO want them comfortable . Imagine setting on a " SMALL TIGHT NEST " for 21 days . Plus other hens come behind them and lay in same nest at times and you DO NOT want your eggs gettign broken . Larger is always better , kinds like when you build a coop and run . BIGGER is naturally always better . DH is having to enlarge ours for the 3rd. time and PLUS build a searate coop and run for our bantams .

LOL thats why I like my plastic milk crates , large and roomy

My Buff Orpingtons are too big to use an average size milk crate. They need a 14" size to be comfortable.
Well, on the other hand, my grown BR turkey is sneaking into their nest and laying turkey eggs! Both the BO hens don't like that~!

Quote:
I have both average standard sizes and LARGE crates . average will be used for my bantams and large are being used for the larger breeds ... this is what mine look like .... more than enough room even for the largest breeds . I have all the large crates in upright position side by side with pine shavings inside and also the whole coop area.

9529_black_milk_crate.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom