Nesting box questions...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ears73, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Hiya folks.

Any notes on nesting boxes? I was just told that they get pretty messy inside and if we are using wood, make them removable and paint the insides for easier cleaning.

I have also heard that the plastic bucket or milk crate ones could work as well - but what has been your experience with what is easy to clean or not?? Any trouble shooting tips?

Thanks a bunch!!!

p.s. I will ask in the egg layers section as well.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

What does "any trouble shooting tips" mean? Sorry.....

I put some plastic astro-turf type stuff in the bottoms of my nest boxes, and I absolutely love that stuff. You can just hose it off if it gets dirty, and I hang it on the laundry line to drip dry. I also put lots of shavings on top. And, I NEVER have a dirty egg.

3. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    Our chickens have been laying now for around 3 weeks. and we have Not had Poop 1 in the nest box's yet. about all we get are a few stray feathers.
    We cleaned out the nest boxes once they started to actually roost because they slept on the top of the boxes.

4. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks Wynette! Great idea! I am very new to chickens and want to keep the coop as clean and simple to maintain as possible. Cool idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by