Nesting box size for bigger breeds

3 months ago or so built nesting box with daughter for her school project. Started with 12x12 square cube as a basis. It is a bit longer than 36 inch for 3 cubes,Put 30 degree slope on top so back is about 16 to 18 inches i believe. The brahmas lays eggs in it with the australorps and rangers. Put the slope on so more head room and they don't roost on it.
I wish I had made it deeper and a bit wider. They seem to scratch the straw out and I refill with straw every couple days. I think I would go 16 inches in height at least anyway then can run 4 inch board in front which help hold the bedding in. Width and depth I prolly go 14 to 16 inches.
So with a 2 inch board on the front of the one made the opening in 12 wide 10 inches high and 12 inch deep, but it works.

I saw a bald eagle come land in the tree by my house and grab my camera to take a picture, did not get a picture of the eagle though. Did go put chickens away and lock them up and took picture of nesting box.
the one picture is kinda fuzzy, but there is a brahma in it. I have not had any broken eggs at least so far.

Attachments

• nesting box.jpg
    nesting box.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210104_141030[1].jpg
    20210104_141030[1].jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 16
I saw a bald eagle come land in the tree by my house and grab my camera to take a picture, did not get a picture of the eagle though. Did go put chickens away and lock them up and took picture of nesting box.
the one picture is kinda fuzzy, but there is a brahma in it. I have not had any broken eggs at least so far.
Thank you. This helps alot!

Back
Top Bottom