Nesting box size for bigger breeds

TheresaMi

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
I bought and installed pre-built nesting boxes that is 10x10x10. I have barred rocks, RR, BO and brahmas. They are laying fine but I do occasionally find yolk inside the nesting boxes. I think the brahmas may be crushing the eggs when they go to lay.

I plan on making my own nesting boxes now and was wondering what size should they be for brahmas breed?

I had the same concern with Jersey Giants and built nests from 12"X12" up to 12X14". Later when I would find 2 and 3 hens at a time in a nest, I realized my concern was unfounded.
Hens can break eggs in a nest but the cause may be elsewhere.
It's just my brahmas causing this. They are always rearranging or fluffing up the bedding in the nest before they lay and if there happen to be an egg in there it gets damage. Currently using pine shavings, Is there any bedding I can use that they can't rearrange?

It's just my brahmas causing this. They are always rearranging or fluffing up the bedding in the nest before they lay and if there happen to be an egg in there it gets damage. Currently using pine shavings, Is there any bedding I can use that they can't rearrange?

You could use astro turf with roll out nest boxes ...

I think they feel compelled to fluff up the nest.. so even astro turf they will poke at.

I like shavings in nest boxes... but yes they poke at them.

Last edited:
Perhaps the problem is with the egg shells rather than the size of the birds or nests.

Last edited:
Perhaps the problem is with the egg shells rather than the size of the birds or nests.
I thought this too at first so I started supplementing oyster shells but that didn't solve the problem. I only brought up the nest size because they look so snug & compact when they are in there so I thought that might be the problem.

But I will try different bedding then if that fails I may remove the top of the nesting box to see if that helps and if all else fails I will build them bigger nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom