Nesting box size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flyboy718, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    What dimensions do I need to use to make a nesting box?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I like a 12 to 15 inch cube. Sometimes a larger bird likes that size to feel comfortable, and the smaller birds double up and once in awhile, triple up.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    12 x 12 or 12 x 15 works fine. They will nest in a bucket. Doesn't seem to matter too much to them.

4. CT

CT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Great Lakes
    Do you cut the bucket to make openings, or just take off the lid?

5. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Is there a minimum height the nesting boxes need to be above the floor of the coop? I am planning on putting mine 24" above the floor of the coop. Do I need to put something there so they can get into them easily?

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

at 24" they shouldn't need a ramp or anything. A perch in front is good though. Our nests are going to be on the floor and just about 14" above (4 nests, 2 rows of 2).

7. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    How many boxes for 9 hens?

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can provide 2, but my guess it they'll all lay in one anyhow. It's a social, community thing.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For 9 hens I would have at least two and preferably three. They will probably all use the same one or two anyway, but with three you have a little more flexibility, say if one goes broody. You also have some room to increase your flock, just in case that happens.

This thread has some pictures of different nesting boxes. You can see that about anything goes. I personally like a lip on mine about 5" to 6" high to keep them from scratching out the nesting material and eggs, but from these photios, you can see that a lot of people don't have the lip that high.

Nesting Boxes
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Cut about 2/3 off the lid and put the remaining 1/3 on to keep nesting and eggs inside... lay it on it's side!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by