Nesting box to low?

Dawggy Stile

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Ohio
The 4 chickens are over 35 weeks old...they were givin to me a month ago... Is this nesting box to low? I haven't seen an egg yet!
Would it help to build a shelf and raise that box?
I have two box's for 6 chickens and thought of getting rid of one of em.
Thanks!

69382_dscf0004.jpg

IDK...I'm no expert...but if it helps mine are all on the ground and most eggs end up in them (found a few of the first ones on the poop boards, but I think she was just too new to make it to the box or something, 'cause since then I haven't had any issues). just a little vote of confidence, not real advice...no expert...'member I'm new too
smile.png

people say to build the boxes up but below the roosts, but I have mine on the floor and haven't had any trouble, since most hidden nests are on the ground anyway, put some golfballs or fake eggs in, the birds might just be adjusting to their new surroundings .

and i would keep both nest boxes, if you have 1 in the box and another wants to lay they need an alternative. some chickens can spend hours sitting in the box waiting to lay.

I have 4 boxes that are about a foot above the floor. They are 12"x12" and were made for my BR's. Since then I got some Jersey Giants and didn't think these would be practical so I made a larger nest box which I attached to the coop at floor level. We'll see how the options work out as they approach POL.

my chickens prefer the lower nest boxes over higher ones. I have a 6 unit nesting box setup in the open part of my garage. 3 boxes on the bottom, 3 on top. There are never any eggs in the top boxes. Each of the bottom boxes generally has multiple eggs.

24277_downsized_0926001926.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom