1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting box to low?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dawggy Stile, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Dawggy Stile

Dawggy Stile Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Ohio
    The 4 chickens are over 35 weeks old...they were givin to me a month ago... Is this nesting box to low? I haven't seen an egg yet!
    Would it help to build a shelf and raise that box?
    I have two box's for 6 chickens and thought of getting rid of one of em.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    IDK...I'm no expert...but if it helps mine are all on the ground and most eggs end up in them (found a few of the first ones on the poop boards, but I think she was just too new to make it to the box or something, 'cause since then I haven't had any issues). just a little vote of confidence, not real advice...no expert...'member I'm new too [​IMG]

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    people say to build the boxes up but below the roosts, but I have mine on the floor and haven't had any trouble, since most hidden nests are on the ground anyway, put some golfballs or fake eggs in, the birds might just be adjusting to their new surroundings .

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    and i would keep both nest boxes, if you have 1 in the box and another wants to lay they need an alternative. some chickens can spend hours sitting in the box waiting to lay.

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I have 4 boxes that are about a foot above the floor. They are 12"x12" and were made for my BR's. Since then I got some Jersey Giants and didn't think these would be practical so I made a larger nest box which I attached to the coop at floor level. We'll see how the options work out as they approach POL.

6. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    The box that Snowflake likes is kind of close to the ground.

[​IMG]

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    my chickens prefer the lower nest boxes over higher ones. I have a 6 unit nesting box setup in the open part of my garage. 3 boxes on the bottom, 3 on top. There are never any eggs in the top boxes. Each of the bottom boxes generally has multiple eggs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  8. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Could be that both sets of nests seem to have open tops.The lower ones have the top ones as covers. maybe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by