Nesting box use

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blondegirl358, Jan 27, 2014.

1. blondegirl358

blondegirl358 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    I have 4 hens that have been laying for a little over a week now. I have 2 of them laying in the coop consistently...even if the nesting boxes are available.

I have fake eggs (filled plastic easter eggs) in the nest boxes already, but that doesn't seem to matter.

I read a suggestion about putting a bucket or crate where they are laying, so I did that. Have a bucket in one corner, and a milk crate in the other. Now they are just laying next to the bucket & the crate...[​IMG]

What else can I do to get them to lay in the nesting boxes? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    How high off the ground are your nest boxes?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Give them time. Sometimes a new layer gets surprised by the egg coming and doesn't make it back to the nesting box in time. I have found eggs in the run, under the feeder, under the roost, etc - but they figure it out in time and make it to the nesting box.

4. blondegirl358

blondegirl358 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    The nesting boxes are maybe 12ish inches off the floor of the coop (I'd have to measure for sure). Not quite as high as their roost. And I don't really think it's because they aren't making it, since they are actually moving bedding around to make a nest. Our RIR is laying in the same spot each time. I keep covering up her nest, but she just digs back down in the same spot.

It's funny because our biggest bird goes in there...we were worried that maybe they were too small. Obviously that's not the case.

I'm glad that they are laying, but it's a PITA to get to those eggs. I have to use a shovel HA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by