Nesting boxes!! also, chicken math.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Desirai, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Yaay~!

I have 12 babies. My grandparents have lovingly allowed them to be in their home for the past 4 weeks. But the smell...it's starting to get to even me, and I think they're perfect. Lol!

So I'm getting ready to move them out to the coop/shed.

What remains is finishing the inside of the coop, aka installing nesting boxes. Even though my chickens won't be using them for a few more months, I want to install them now.

What is a cheap way for nesting boxes? Mine are not going to be outside like some people have theirs, where you can open a little door and get out the eggs. Mine are going to be inside so I have to go in to get them every time.

I only have about a 4ft space for boxes. Oh also my chickens are all standard cochins so they're going to be big.

Also, chicken math!!

I've learned that out of 12 chicks I potentially have 5 boys. 3 boys are definite, and there's 2 more that are maybes. This means I'm going to have to get more girls.

My coop is 8 x 6 and the run is 22 x 20. How many more hens will I need to get to keep them happy and will I have enough room??

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cheapest way to build a nest box is to get a bucket and cut the lid and put it back on. Screw the bucket into the wall (secure it well). You're done!

This is a picture of a nest box that was posted a few days ago, and it's a genius idea, I think! :)

[​IMG]

If you have 12 chicks and an 8X6 foot coop-- you are pretty much at your max. If you want more hens, you'll have to get rid of some of your birds (boys). It is recommended to have anywhere from 5-10 hens for ONE rooster.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You beat me to it Hawkeye - I was just about to suggest 5-gallon buckets!

Another idea is the covered cat litter boxes. That was what I used for my first few hens and they loved it because it afforded them the privacy and security they like when laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by