Nesting boxes and Roosts

justincasei812

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Mid Michigan
This may have been beaten to death already but I have been searching for some design ideas for a coop expansion. I am going from a 4 by 8' to an 8 by 8' coop. It is just the easiest way to expand with sheets of plywood. What I have been looking for are some ideas on putting nesting boxes on one side of the 8 x 8 box towards the floor (with a door to the outside to gather eggs) and then putting the roost with a tray over top of that to save some space. I have been looking on Pinterest and BYC and through out the web with no real luck or real pics to get a visual before I start building. Nothing elaborate Just need to have the basics. If anyone has any pics of this layout I would really appreciate seeing them.

Justin

Here is my through the wall roll out nest box.

nbmk3-08.jpg nbmk3-09.jpg

If the nest box is at least 24" deep inside the coop then just frame out the top with some 1x4's to form a box. Put some Sweet PDZ in the box and center the roost over the middle of the nest box. If it is not 24" deep then just put a piece of wood that is 24" deep with the box on it on top of the nest.

JT

This may have been beaten to death already but I have been searching for some design ideas for a coop expansion. I am going from a 4 by 8' to an 8 by 8' coop. It is just the easiest way to expand with sheets of plywood. What I have been looking for are some ideas on putting nesting boxes on one side of the 8 x 8 box towards the floor (with a door to the outside to gather eggs) and then putting the roost with a tray over top of that to save some space. I have been looking on Pinterest and BYC and through out the web with no real luck or real pics to get a visual before I start building. Nothing elaborate Just need to have the basics. If anyone has any pics of this layout I would really appreciate seeing them.

Justin

On the nesting boxes really what I have done is put them on the bottom underneath a poop deck with the roost above. It is space saving and works really good. Also if they go broody the chicks are not going to fall out of a raised nesting area

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to wait a bit for a response to see what came in. Aart I am going to try something close to the link that you posted. It is something I was thinking but just couldn’t put a picture to it. I may go with a door on the outside of the coop for egg collection and will try to swing the pull out nesting boxes along with it if time allows. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom