Nesting boxes: are dividers NEEDED?

Personally, I wouldn't suggest the rubber bath mat idea! I bought one, brought it home and thought it smelled terribly, so I put it outside in the rain, the sun, the heat, the cold and it still smelled!!!! Just a suggestion...perhaps your hens won't like the smell of it either and quit laying?

i ended up putting a carpet pad in there. I had a crappy outdoor carpet that's been in the patio for so long so i cut a 2x4 piece and washed it and put it in there.

These chickens will sit is a wider open area but they won't lay. When they were laying in the coop they used all 4 nest. Those are 14X16X14. But after the BO hatched in one of the nest set kept them all run out and really caused a mess with the laying. The moved to the dog house where is it just open. I made two nest in there. One they would sit on sorta like they were getting ready to lay. When one hen gets up from the "main" nest and leaves, the one one the waiting nest will get up and go to the main nest and lay. Now that the chicks are out of the coop and I've cleaned up the nest, they are starting to go back to the coop. I will never go through this deal again. I wasn't ready for the chicks and had no idea mama would be setting so young. She's not a year old till March.

So I've found the chicken like their own cubby hole to lay. I guess some like the open space but mine don't.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom