Nesting boxes: are dividers NEEDED?

mendozer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I'm building them a solid plywood nesting box today to upgrade from the carboard box. I notice that two of my four like to lay in the same box, at the same time! It's crowded in a 12x12, but one of them just squeezes in despite the irritated cackling of the other. Because of this, should I just make one long box of 24" or should I keep the 12" spaces? If they lay together, what's the big deal if I take away the dividers?

RedIII

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
Tooele, Utah
Hmmm, good question. I've wondered the same thing. In your case, do you have room to make a 12" and then leave some space for a 24"? You know, give them a little variety to choose from?

GardenState38

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2011
I'm having the same issue--I have a row of 4 individual nesting boxes, but 4 of my 5 girls use the same one! It gets a bit noisy when someone's using it and another is impatiently waiting her turn!
I'm considering removing the divider and turning two boxes into one larger box, but I don't want to freak them out with a change, now that they're all laying.
I'll be interested to see what the experts have to say.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
They want to lay in a safe place where either there are eggs or other hens. LOL

That said, I have done nest boxes on top of each other and no division nest hutches where they all just to cram into the back corner and lay together. Far as I can tell, they don't care if their nest is a box or a hutch with lots of space, if there is a spot with eggs or another hen, the higher hen wants it. LOL

mendozer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
nice. good feedback all around. I'm making only 24" long rather than a variety because it's a 4x4 coop and I don't want the box to take up too much space. I'm making an overhang so it'll be cozy. I'll post pics when I'm done in a few hours.

mendozer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle

forgot to add it. just remembered days later haha. I went without a divider. One thing I've noticed is I've gotten two cracked eggs since adding this box in compared to my last cardboard box. I put a lot of shavings in there, but they make a well for their eggs and the bare wood is beneath. Wish there was a soft material I could put down that wouldn't scratch to bits

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
Usually you have to purchase carpet samples for a cheap amount. But if the carpet store is getting rid of a sample book they may give it to you free. I haven't had any breakage yet using straw. The girls will make circles and when those circles show the bottom of the nestbox I put more straw in. I thought of another option - bathmat - you could cut it down to the right size and it would be soft & washable.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom