Nesting Boxes for Quail??

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
So I'm going to go ahead and try to raise quail with a broody bantam. I have a 7 x 2 1/2 x 2 off the ground pen with a 2x2 box at one end. Do quail need laying/nesting boxes?

no they do not need nesting boxes, most quail kinda lay whereever, few peoples lay them in the sand, mine lay them anywhere in the closed in section of my coop.

do you mean that you plan to have a chicken with your quails at all times..b/c i'm going to tell you this know, ALOT of people are aganist this due to Corzya(i think its spelled) its a disease transfered from chicken poo to quails(and other animals i'm sure). it might not always happen, but it can happen. just be aware of this, if you want further reaserch then it can be looked up around here on byc somewhere

Quote:
Not knowing your species..........Bobwhites don't. Mine are on wire. When the urge hits her...........plop, nice clean egg!

X2 for coturnix. Yes, if you have what one calls a nest box, then some hens will find themselves in the box when they drop an egg. Same goes for the feeder, water fount, sand box, etc... Just thank your lucky charms the eggs are not sticky, or you would find them on the ceiling and walls.

You may want to get yourself/make yourself a bator and brooder setup for what ever species of quail you wish to raise. Mixing quail/game birds with chickens is like downing a 6 pack and getting behind the wheal of a car. Yeah you might make it from point A to point B most of the time, but when you don't...It's a total nightmare. I don't recommend doing either! Better safe than sorry, I always say.
smile.png

I have hatched many of quail under a broody bantam hen. They hatch alot better under a hen then in my bator. When they hatch, the quail are ready to go, so when it comes time for them to hatch, I put a fence or a wall around the hen so the quail wont get out from under hen and run off. When they are ready to leave the nest, I put them all in a pen that they cant get out of and keep them in there til the quail are old enough to move into their own new pen. I have done this with ringnecks as well with a broody chicken. Good luck.

Quote:
I'm not busting on you my friend, but this is why I have a strict "hatching egg only, no live bird policy" on my property. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN, I get a dose of Chicken cooties, that totally destroys my game bird population, and any survivors, are Typhoid Marty's to any new stock. Chickens just shrug off diseases that quail/game birds have no immunity to. They can actually vector other diseases...Like Black Head.

No offence taken. We hatch alot of our quail and pheasants under chicken hens and we havent had any issues yet. We keep our birds in their own pens, but some of them are side by side. What works for me maynot work for you.

Quote:
If it works don't fixs it. I raise my quail next to my chickens in different pens so far so good. I take care of the quail first then clean my shoes & wash my hands & then tend to the yard birds.

Quote:
If it works don't fixs it. I raise my quail next to my chickens in different pens so far so good. I take care of the quail first then clean my shoes & wash my hands & then tend to the yard birds.

Yeah, but better safe than sorry, I always say

Back
Top Bottom