nesting boxes for silkies. how high??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    How high should laying boxes be for silkies?? I have some that just started to lay and my boxes for my big girls are two high for them.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I was just reading up on this and from what the sites I visited say, was to keep them very low as silkies can't fly well at all. I would say about 12 inches off the ground would be good. Anyone else have silkies that can add info here??

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I use cat sized old plasic pet crates, door removed and just leave it on the floor of the coop with a big handful of bermuda hay in it. There are two crates for three girls.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use a ex small dog house for my silkies nest box.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i house my silkies in one of those chick-n-barns, and have the nest boxes right on the floor of it. They seem to like that.

6. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    my girlfriend has 30+ silkies - she swears by veggie colanders she purchased at Target. she mounts metal straps to the wall shaped like the bottom of the colander (12" from the floor), puts the colander in with a little bedding and her girls love it. each colander can hold 2 hens and when she needs to clean them, she just takes them out of the strap, dumps the bedding and washes out the colander (if needed). i've seen it and it looks great - eggs are easy to reach and there is floor space to wander around in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by