Nesting boxes how high...dimensions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flycropper, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My coop is built. Brooding lamps are hung. Layer of shavings on the floor. Roosting rack is built. Feeders and water are in place. Chicks are little and growing fast. Outdoor pen is ready for when they are bigger.

Next task is to build nexting boxes. What dimensions? How high off the floor? From what I've read here, it sounds like one nesting box per 3 or 4 birds.

Anyone have pictures to post of their boxes would be appreciated.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    You are right...one box per 3-4 birds. I read alot and lurked for a long time before my hubby built my boxes. For standard birds, my hubby built the boxes appox. 14x14. Sloped roof so the birds don't roost on top of the boxes. Mine are about 14 in. off the ground. Make sure roosts are higher than the nest boxes. Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures, but someone will come along with lots of pictures!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  4. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the help. The pics are great. I really like those bucket nesting boxes. Overall, all the boxes look bretty simple and straight forward...nothing tricky.

Thank you both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by