Nesting boxes (please post a picture/ design)

chicken girl 8

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 30, 2012
leander
Hey can someone please help I am trying to design some nesting boxes I have no idea how to make them. Please post a picture or a design.
th.gif
caf.gif

Better yet, just go get you some cat litter pails and cut the lid down and put a rubber hose along the cut edge. I use fuel line hose because it was in the shop. Set on the shelf and bam! you are golden.

Jim

Here's a photo of how I mounted mine...not really sure that someone can really design one for you if no one knows where it will be going? Every single person that gives you a suggestion right now is going to be taking a guess at that one. My dimensions are 12"x12"x12" on the short height.

Better yet, just go get you some cat litter pails and cut the lid down and put a rubber hose along the cut edge. I use fuel line hose because it was in the shop. Set on the shelf and bam! you are golden.

Jim

These are my nest boxes. The rabbit hutch is usually a nest box too, but it doubles as isolation quarters for new flock members after they have passed their health screening. They are in the same coop, but protected from being picked on. When it is being used for a nest box, the wooden door is a ramp, and the mounted bowls have oyster shell in them. All I did to the litter boxes was take the plastic door off, because my girls hated them and wouldn't use them.

Last edited:

I cut the lid and left about 1/3 to hold back the shavings, Keyholed the back in two spots so that I could hang with two screw. Easy to take off and clean. Hens are laying great in them.

Here is my nest box bucket. I only have 3 hens so I just need one. I velcro'd the carpet down so I can change it when necessary.
So far they have kept it clean! It is bolted to the cradle my husband made, and I can move it around when I need to clean the coop.

Here's the nest boxes for our flock - way too many boxes for the original 5 hens and even though there are now 15 laying hens, they all still use just the two lower boxes on the left:

I used an old plywood box that a old projection tv was in to attach the backs of the buckets to, and the supports for the perch ledges.

Back
Top Bottom