Nesting boxes when to put them in the coop?

kgardner19

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 2, 2012
I know this will probably sound like a silly question-when should you buy nesting boxes and fit them up in the coop?
Do you need to do it early on so the chickens get used to them or is it ok to wait until they start laying?

When I built my coop I included the nesting boxes in the design. My pullets are only about 7 weeks old this week, so I have not added any bedding material to the boxes...I don't want them using the boxes until its time, yet I want the pullets to know that the boxes are there:

Last edited:
i suggest already having them. its gets that out of your mind and you know when they do lay they have a place to lay. in the end its your choice

Thank you for your replies-we are using a stable in the barn so we are slowly making it chicken friendly-we have the perches in place which they are using.
We have to buy some nesting boxes

I have mine in (9 wk chicks) but I blocked them off and will open them around 14 wks.

My thinking is that I didn't want them to begin sleeping in the boxes and get them poopy in the process. When they're young they'll all gather in the nice cozy box. I wanted them to go to the roots first and be very well established that they are the place to sleep (and poop)!

When I open them up, I'll put in some ceramic eggs (could use golf balls or other egg shaped items) which is supposed to help them get the idea that's where the eggs go.

Back
Top Bottom