Nesting boxes

janis1127

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
Should the nesting boxes be installed in the chicken coup or outside in the run. As you can tell, I am nrew to raising chickens so I have alot of questions.

Ultimately, nest boxes are about human convenience rather than a benefit to the birds - chickens will build a nest just about anywhere, the nest boxes encourage them to lay where *we* want them to - which is a place that we can easily access to gather the eggs vs. having to engage in a daily "egg hunt" in the hopes of finding them in a place we can get to.
What is going to be most convenient to you with regards to gathering eggs and the space available in each location? Is the run planned to be covered or uncovered and what sort of climate are you in? Is your run constructed to make it easy for you to get in/out to gather the eggs? Is space already "tight" in the coop and you are hoping to save space by not installing boxes in the interior? The advantages to being in the coop are that even during times when the birds may be reluctant to venture out (bad weather) the nest boxes are readily accessible to them. An alternative that is somewhat best of both worlds is to build the nest boxes so that they extend out off the side of the coop but open up to the birds from the inside so that you aren't losing any "interior space" of the coop and are easily able to access them through a lid on the outside to gather eggs, etc.

Thank you for the advice. My building is an 8 by 8 so I think I will have room on the inside under the window. I want them to stay dry and be safe.

How do I get my chickens to use the nestING boxes? I don't want to build them and them not use them. Some one once told me that u can place golf balls in the nesting boxes to encourage they lay there eggs I them any advise

Should the nesting boxes be installed in the chicken coup or outside in the run. As you can tell, I am new to raising chickens so I have alot of questions.

Welcome aboard backyard buddy.
It is a personal choice with advantages and disadvantages to both. If you plan on collecting eggs in your dress shoes and formal attire not needing to check on your birds, feed, or water every day outside boxes are for you.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I built my first coop in March and love my nest boxes that are accessible from the outside. Super easy for me plus my children can go get eggs and the hens aren't as likely to get out as they would be going in and out the big doors.

I second the external mounted nest boxes. They offer everything the birds naturally want. A small out of way, darker place to lay/nest. I build a long box and put dividers in it, the holes from coop side are about 9x9 or 10x10.

Chicken Coops can be such dirty dusty places. I much prefer a design that has the nest boxes outside the coop, if at all possible.

Chickens don't really care, as long as they easily access the boxes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom