nesting boxes

team guava pastry

Songster
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Miami, FL
i'm starting to build my chicken house and i was wondering how big should the nesting boxes be? there will be 2 partridge cochins and 2 buff brahmas. should we make a box for each? do help, city people (MIA, FL) aren't so good at this.
big_smile.png

thanks, TGP

1-3 nesting boxes will be plenty for four birds, more so closer to one will work. Since your birds are larger I say use a box that is about 16X16"-18X18"

I think you want the boxes about 12" X 12". They seem to like a smaller space than a bigger one, but you want to give them some room to turn around. Course, I'm far from an expert and I'm sure someone else will come along to tell you if I'm even close to right.
tongue.png

so you think one nest for 4 chickens will be ok? hmm i wanted all of them to have a dorm of their own.

another note: VENTILATION
for a house that will be apx. 4'W x 6'L x 42"H how many ventilation holes should i place and how big? i was reading about how one should have bigger holes than not and also have PLENTY of them.

any additional advice would be helpful.

(FIRST TIMER)

I tried the individual nesting and for some it worked, for the two Sisters and Penny I made a nest out of an old water trough and they sit in there together to lay their eggs, and I think they've hatched a plan to use one nest and 3 incubators,,,,,, they are doing their darndest to go broody on me!! But they love to sit together.

I would make it taller than wider... If there isn't enough straw in the boxes, my hens scratch down through it to the bottom of the box, and occasionally crack an egg on the wood.

I would have at least a couple boxes, just in case the one is taken when a second needs to get in. We have eight boxes for fifteen hens, and I've seen one crawl in on top of another to get into her favorite box.

I'll tell ya, but first you have to give me a guava pastry!
droolin.gif

Goodness! I miss cuban food!
My current nest boxes are 18" x 21", but my 10 month old brahmas are starting to look a little crowded in them; so I'm going bigger.
You want 1 nest box for every 4 to 5 hens theoretically, but don't be surprised when they pick a favorite box and ignore the others. Also, the favorite box changes from day to day.

I use the Rubbermaid "Totes" that department stores sell. Cut a hole in the front, put some fresh hay in and put the top back on. Easy to take off a shelf and clean, Sterilize and dry. You can also set a hen in them. They hatch out good. I put a brick in each one before I put them on the shelf so that a hen can't turn them over. Different hens like different sizes.

Ah let me tell you my girlfreind makes the best pastries, extra guava and eat them while they are still warm.

woo hoo!!!!

She all excited about raising chickens. She already put her order in and should be getting them soon

that means I got to get my butt building the coop for her.
FYI it was 39 degrees here in Miami this mourning........... WOW!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom