1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Does anyone have a favorite nesting box "plan" that they would share? I am finishing my coop this weekend and need to build and install a set of 3 boxes in approx a 48" space and another 2 box set in about 32" of space. I have 8 Buff Orp hens, of which only about 4 are currently laying. My coop is 6ft wide and 8ft long....should have plenty of space I hope.

Thanks

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hi, there, for 8 hens all what you need is really no more than 2 nest boxes, I have 10 hens and 8 nest boxes and the hens use only 2 of them [​IMG], I don'thave a plan but I have this picture

[​IMG]

please post pictures of your project.

Thanks

Omran

3. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    [​IMG]

I know its not a great pic, but they are fairly easy to build. 2x4 sleleton and 5 gallon buckets.

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I didn't use a plan but sort of mirrored the dimensions from the Keep Chickens book by Barbara Kilarski.

[​IMG]

5. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Have to paint it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put mine on the outside. Doesn't take up any space and easy to get to the eggs and clean....

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I like mine alot because my husband was able to add a storage compartment into it for me. We made it out of old cabinets. The right side has two nestboxes (with a little bit of storage above them) - the left side holds 50 lbs of feed. He also added a fastener to the roof of the coop that holds the lid open for me while I am taking feed out.

The cat litter box on the floor also works well. My chickens just started laying a few weeks ago and we now get eggs in each one of our nestboxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to have several nest boxes and they all wanted the same one. So with my latest chicken tractors, I have been putting 1 next box but making it bigger. And yes they use the same one at the same time. When I was using multiple boxes I seen one hen literally sitting on anothers back. [​IMG]

9. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:there are EGGS in your boxes [​IMG] I am sooooo jealous....nearing 22 weeks and my girls are on strike!! [​IMG]
    Nice boxes everyone...very cool to see the different ideas.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:The pictures were taken before my chickens started to lay and those are actually fake eggs in the boxes. My first to lay (BR & EE) started right at 22 weeks and now at barely 25 weeks, 7 of my 10 pullets are laying regularly. Yours should start very soon now too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by