Nesting boxes

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Does anyone have a favorite nesting box "plan" that they would share? I am finishing my coop this weekend and need to build and install a set of 3 boxes in approx a 48" space and another 2 box set in about 32" of space. I have 8 Buff Orp hens, of which only about 4 are currently laying. My coop is 6ft wide and 8ft long....should have plenty of space I hope.

Thanks

Hi, there, for 8 hens all what you need is really no more than 2 nest boxes, I have 10 hens and 8 nest boxes and the hens use only 2 of them
lol.png
, I don'thave a plan but I have this picture

13683_chicken_house_001.jpg

please post pictures of your project.

Thanks

Omran

I like mine alot because my husband was able to add a storage compartment into it for me. We made it out of old cabinets. The right side has two nestboxes (with a little bit of storage above them) - the left side holds 50 lbs of feed. He also added a fastener to the roof of the coop that holds the lid open for me while I am taking feed out.

The cat litter box on the floor also works well. My chickens just started laying a few weeks ago and we now get eggs in each one of our nestboxes.

gardenchickens001-1.jpg

gardenchickens002-1.jpg

gardenchickens006-1.jpg

I used to have several nest boxes and they all wanted the same one. So with my latest chicken tractors, I have been putting 1 next box but making it bigger. And yes they use the same one at the same time. When I was using multiple boxes I seen one hen literally sitting on anothers back.
hmm.png

Quote:
there are EGGS in your boxes
lol.png
I am sooooo jealous....nearing 22 weeks and my girls are on strike!!
wink.png

Nice boxes everyone...very cool to see the different ideas.

Quote:
The pictures were taken before my chickens started to lay and those are actually fake eggs in the boxes. My first to lay (BR & EE) started right at 22 weeks and now at barely 25 weeks, 7 of my 10 pullets are laying regularly. Yours should start very soon now too.

Back
Top Bottom