Nesting boxes

momonator

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
My babies are close to laying eggs - I think. Worked on the nesting boxes. Other than hay, what other stuff can we put in the boxes? Also, they have the run of the yard, and I'm wondering how to get the hens to use the boxes and not start laying under the house or back porch. At night, they all make their way back to the hen house without any "herding" from me. Ok, I got my chicks in mid-January.

Hi there,

I use shavings in my nesting boxes as my girls just tossed the hay and straw out because the pieces were too big. I even tried cutting the straw and putting shavings on top so there was more padding, they still tossed out the straw.

As for laying in the boxes, do you have any golf balls? Put a couple in each one so they get the idea of where to lay. Sounds like they already know where their "house" is if they are returning at night on their own. They should start investigating the boxes soon. Good luck and enjoy the eggs!

ETA
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hehehe, my hens already know what their NB are, I just need them to stop pooping in them when they take afternoon seistas...
fl.gif

We cut pieces of astro-turf (plastic grass) that my neighbor put in a putting green and had some of the long grass kind left over. I can hear you laughing but it really works well. I have to shake it out once in a while because they track in shavings from the coop floor but that is all. I'll wash it if is ever gets soiled. The eggs are always really clean. You can see the nest boxes on the website below. It's pretty exciting awaiting that first egg, isn't it?
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom