Nesting boxes

MerkySky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I keep reading that the nesting boxes should not be flat on top so that the chicken does not get on top and roost! Is this accurate? My husband asked me why they could not be flat and I could only tell him that and he gave me a "I do not understand" Look. I was looking at the nesting boxes that you attach to the wall and can just pull off and clean easily. Saw them at TSC and so then I checked them out on ebay. Also saw a kind that are a plastic no root pole like the hanging ones but these are stackable from the ground up. These are the ones that do not slope sorry photo is so big. Any advice would be great. Thanks And do not know why the photo pasted twice again sorry new to this
$T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YlV+BRfCLHs1gw~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YlV+BRfCLHs1gw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
chickens can roost on the boxes as long as the are covered and poop cant get into them. are those all your nest boxes? how many chickens do you have?

chickens can roost on the boxes as long as the are covered and poop cant get into them. are those all your nest boxes? how many chickens do you have?
No I do not have the boxes yet those were just an idea to get off ebay 9$ a piece. I have right now in the coop we just made 8 and I have 8 more chicks that we need to build a smaller coop. Just wanting to get the right ones. I know I do not want metal or wood had wood for our rabbits and the urine soaked into the wood and I did not feel like they ever really got clean.
Thanks

I have never had a problem with the chickens getting on top of the nest boxes and my nest boxes are flat on top. If they have enough space inside the coop, they shouldn't bother with roosting on top. At least my girls don't. :)

Good afternoon,

I saw your post ant the pictures of your nesting boxes. Where did you find those, they would work great for my ducks?

Thank you

My husband just finished one of our nesting boxes. It is just a large wooden box. Inside are 4 large plastic bins I purchased at Walmart. They slide in & out for cleaning. The entire box will be attached to the wall. They r flat on top, but my poop boards will be placed on top of them, then on top of poop boards will be roosts.

When you have arguments going on, such as if you should introduce new members to the flock, the lower pecking order will roost anywhere they can.

A flat top nesting box becomes an attractive alternative to the roosting bars and being harassed.

You then wind up with a lot of poop on top of the nesting boxes, and probably will make emergency repairs to remedy the situation, or complain
smile.png

I would address the potential problem before it occurs, unless you don't mind having the chickens pooping on top of their nests.

I know I do not want metal or wood had wood for our rabbits and the urine soaked into the wood and I did not feel like they ever really got clean.
Thanks
Chickens don't pee, so you don't have to worry about urine soaked wood. I've had wood nest boxes for years, and have had no problems. I just change out the pine shavings in them, and go on. I would recommend you have some kind of slanted cover (See pic below) over the nest boxes to discourage roosting. Unless you have them under your roosts, and under some kind of poop board. If they have a flat place to sit on top of them, you are going to have a crappy mess to clean off of them. Especially if they dump some of those 'Loose' crap loads on them.

200x200px-ZC-2894435b_IMG_2180.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom