Nesting emu

Y'all - we're up to three in the brooder, one still under Fred (I couldn't reach and it looked very newly hatched) and one was in the process of hatching. I am speechless! Here's a video from this morning when I saw Fred crouching over the clutch. Taz seems to be doing well still after his first night inside. I'm naming the second oldest Blaize, and the youngest in the brooder is Dundee. Of course I probably won't be able to tell them apart for long. Hoping they all do okay, they're so little! We'll see how things look in the nest tomorrow.

I think once he’s done hatching and they’ve all beefed up a bit and learned to eat and drink we’ll move them (and Fred) to our barn and keep them in a more confined (yet spacious) area. After that I’m not sure! We definitely didn’t count on possibly ten chicks. Also I’m getting attached 🤣

I think so...yesterday there was one chick I couldn't reach when I got the other two, which may have been the one I got today, and an egg was in the process of hatching. There could be six more total (yike!) but we'll see!

I think so...yesterday there was one chick I couldn't reach when I got the other two, which may have been the one I got today, and an egg was in the process of hatching. There could be six more total (yike!) but we'll see!
He doesn't mind you taking the chicks?

Latest update is four in the brooder doing well. One had curled toes and I was worried about splayed leg, so he has little taped shoes and a leg brace. I hope this does it - he's moving much better today, and I think they'll come off tomorrow to see how he does on his own. Fingers crossed. On a sadder note, there was a dead chick under Fred yesterday evening, I think perhaps he stepped on the baby, which is so sad. Honestly though it's amazing that theoretically these babies would have all been under him for the last few days. Here is a video compilation of emu chicks learning they can dance and have zooms at three or four days old.

Back
Top Bottom