Nesting emu

Pics

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
Hi all, we have two adult emus acquired from a neighbor about a year ago. Just pets, no plans to breed or sell anything from them but we figured if there are eggs that would be neat. It’s a male and female and they did actually lay ten eggs, first time for them. Fred the male is sitting on the “nest”. We live in western VA so the weather can run the gamut - we’ve had beautiful days, frigid days, rain, and even some snow. We didn’t really plan to incubate and figured we’d see how they did with hatching them. I have been building up a straw nest around him to keep him sheltered from wind and relatively warm along with having materials to put on the eggs himself. Has anyone had their emus successfully hatch any eggs? Did you do anything to “help” them succeed? I put food and water near him but he’s pretty much sitting and nothing else. Wondering if there is anything else I should do or wait and see what happens towards the end of the first hatching period.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    834.9 KB · Views: 162
'Has anyone had their emus successfully hatch any eggs?'

Planet Rothschildi here in Western Australia -- Rothschildi territory -- has observed two hatches: Boy Emu and Noddy Big Ears.

They don't need food or water. They don't poop.

Emu species in Australia hatch in the wild in some very cold places -- right up to the foothills of the Alps. But we don't know what sub-species yours are. The desert sub-species, woodwardi, certainly don't encounter cold weather during incubation.

Here in South-West Western Australia, the males don't experience snow; but they do sit still for seven-and-a-half weeks through some pretty wet and wild winter weather. But if your male is healthy, he should have worked up a good layer of fat to 'power' his incubation.

The male's 'curtain' of feathers provides a fine 'seal' for the eggs under him. He will likely stand to turn those every few hours.

Apparently -- I have no first-hand understanding of this, but it turns up in discussions -- young emu males may botch their first incubation through indiscipline.

Folks are entitled to love and pamper their emus; but luckily, emu males are extremely efficient incubators. If you have fertile eggs, and the nest area is quiet, all you need to do is watch and wait. (You won't know, but Dad gets first wiggles about half way through, and peeps in the final weeks.)

I don't suppose a 'skirt' of straw would help. Certainly snow would be my main concern. Even the wet and wild winter weather here is much less severe than snow!

You could start a thread here, and report for us!!

Supreme Emu, Western Australia

I put food and water near him but he’s pretty much sitting and nothing else.

Yeah, they can sit there for the whole incubation period without getting food or water, from what I've read - it's really impressive!

I've never let my male sit, since the weather up here is so cold that I don't think the eggs would make it unless he started in March, and usually he starts trying in January which is just too cold.

I know other people further south that have though! The males are great parents.

I don't have emus but I love them, how many eggs does he have?
He is sitting on ten. This is Fred and Ethel’s first clutch. I’m hopeful we’ll get at least a couple of hatchlings but really no idea what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom