Nesting hen with mites

CluckYeah8908

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
i have a nesting hen with mites. She’s laying on 10 eggs. I noticed the eggs have mites crawling all over. Is it safe to put DE on the momma and around the nest? Or is there something else I can do? I have moved her to inside my garage. I will put De in the chicken coop andnon my other chickens.

Attachments

• DEF2C21E-9770-48B0-BC9C-878C203E3F41.jpeg
    DEF2C21E-9770-48B0-BC9C-878C203E3F41.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 18
Then what else should I do? I definitely don’t want the babies to have mites

I use a permethrin powder. If they have lice, you’d want to clean the coop and run out and dust everything down with it. You could put some in a dust bath too. Your brooding hen needs to be able to dust bathe, so you might want to let her out for ten minutes, twice a day. It’s safe to dust the chickens themselves with too.

DE is, actually, effective against some species of mites. I've used it successfully for well over a decade in that particular way. Mind you, there are many species of mites out there, and while perhaps there are some resistant species, it hurts not to try and actually find out for your case.

I had this same problem recently. Never had any mites at current location, until my hen had been sitting for just shy of 2 weeks. I carefully placed DE all around her inside the crate she nested in, and the next morning when I brought her food I held it a few steps from her eggs, so I could sprinkle DE powder over them too while she stood. I also carefully lifted the crate, keeping it level, just long enough to sprinkle DE all over underneath it. It will not hurt the chicks or the adults.

The other thing I did to help keep and drive them out was to mix Cedar Oil - only a couple of drops - into an ounce of water contained within a little fine-mist spray bottle, shaking it vigorously right before use. I sprayed this all around the floor and the outside of the crate I had her in, on top of it and with a paper towel wiped some of the solution along the walls and ceiling of her crate, leaving them nowhere to run to between the DE and cedar oil coverage.

The mites all died and never returned.

Pyrethrum-based things will indeed work, but I personally don't use them because of the fact that the way they work is by being neurotoxic. Fish and invertebrates have the intense, deadly sensitivities to it, but I question if it doesn't have far lesser effects on the birds, so I don't use it any more, personally. As somebody living with neurological issues, its something I consider not worth risking with another living being in my care.

Last edited:
i have a nesting hen with mites. She’s laying on 10 eggs. I noticed the eggs have mites crawling all over. Is it safe to put DE on the momma and around the nest? Or is there something else I can do? I have moved her to inside my garage. I will put De in the chicken coop andnon my other chickens.

Since you have an active infestation and your hen is sitting-use a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to treat her. Treat where she is housed and replace the nesting materials with new. Repeat the treatment in 10-14days or per label on your product of choice.

A sitting hen may not take time to dust bath, mite/lice can weaken her further and you surely don't want them on just hatched chicks.

You can find dust/spray at most feed stores http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Back
Top Bottom