1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunlizz, May 27, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    What is the best thing to use in their nest ?

Also , I read NOT to use Cedar shavings , BUT would Cypress savings be ok to use ?

My son works in a cabinet shop and I can have all the shavings I need , BUT its all Cypress

2. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Ive heard hay, I dunno about cypress?

3. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

why pay for something when ya can get it for free.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Would it be pure Cypress shavings or could there possible be other things in the mix?

Skip/hubby/doc_gonzo used to bring home bags of hardwod shavings for me to use in the coops but I wouldn't use them because of possible outside influences. MDF was a concern to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

Hopefully someone will come along that has a better clue. But personally, if I'm not sure about it, I won't use it for the safety sake of my birds.

Dawn

P.S. I use hay in our nest boxes with a bit of food grade DE sprinkled in the layers of hay for mite/lice prevention.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:YES , its pure cypress . NO MIXTURE .......... This is a cypress cabinet shop that also builds cypress swings and yard patio furniture .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by